Friday, September 16, 2005

Good Night Grace Rose Monreal



Dear Grace Rose Monreal,

For the first time I set my eyes on you today. My heart flooded with emotions I didn’t even know I had. How could someone I have never met before fill my heart with so much love and joy? Only seconds after you were born I heard you cry for the first time. As I held your mother’s hand tears of joy began streaming down my face as well.

We were prepared for anything medically, and spiritually our hearts rested firmly upon our Sovereign God. The night before you were born, your mother and I prayed for you and committed you to the Lord. This morning as we prepared to go to the delivery room we listened to worship songs and again prayed to entrust you to the hand of our Loving Father.

After you were born, they quickly rushed you to another table to examine you. We barely had time to catch your birth on video (yeah, we took video). The doctors and nurses gathered around you anticipating that you might have some medical trauma but thankfully you disappointed them. I was anxiously holding my breath but you just kept squirming and crying like a newborn baby does. Your mom got to hold you for the first time before they whisked you away to NICU (Natal Intensive Care Unit).

The rest of the day has been like a dream, the best dream I have ever had. I couldn’t take my eyes off of you. It reminded me of when I met your mom. I just kept looking in awe at the beauty of God’s creation. They took you down to intensive care but you just breezed through it. They poked and prodded but you just rolled your eyes and went back to sleep. A stream of family and friends came by and you blessed them just by being you.

You truly are amazing Grace. You amazed the nurse by eating the first time your mom tried to feed you then you proved everything else was working fine too. Tonight when I held you in my arms I didn’t want to let you go, not now, not ever. I talked to you, introduced myself to you and told you about myself. I asked you not to watch too much television and please don't get annoyed when I try to tell you what I think.

Some day you are going to be a woman with a mind of your own. I will walk you down the aisle and place your hand into the hand of your husband to be. Someday I’ll be there when you are having your first child. But for now, tonight, you are daddy’s little girl. Goodnight Miss Grace Rose Monreal.

Love,

Daddy

4 comments:

Ben said...

Wow. Powerful, Dave.

Anonymous said...

What more does a daughter need from her father than to know she is the apple of his eye? There will be no need for her to look for approval than from anyone else except her father...and she already has it. Your words are seeds of deep affection and committment to growing a lasting relationship with her. I pray that your relationship with your daughter is all she desires from a man until the day she weds. Not many daughters get to hear these words from their daddies.

Anonymous said...

I would like to post a comment but I can't stop crying.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I can't stop crying. You were born to be a pastor! You chose such heartfelt words to honor Grace. You and Jenn will be great parents!
I'm looking forward to meeting Grace on Sunday. She is absolutely beautiful!
Jenn