Friday, December 16, 2005

Book Review: Life as a Vapor


Many of you who know me well know that I am a fan of Dr. John Piper. Sometime down the line I will give reviews of some of the books that have been strongly influential in my theological insights and spiritual formation. One of those books was the first book I read by Piper titled, Desiring God. It is one of my top ten books of all time. In many ways that book revolutionized my understanding of my relationship with Christ and stirred within me a greater hunger to find my satisfaction and strength in God alone.

Life as a Vapor is another of Dr. Piper's many works which is worthwhile. In this book he generally sticks to issues reminded us of the brevity of life and the importance of living for eternity. It is set up in 31 chapters with a brief prayer at the end of each chapter so you can easily use it to supplement your Bible reading with further devotional thoughts. It is a fantastic book to have around when you only have ten or fifteen minutes to read and you want your heart and mind stirred with truth.

If you have never read a Piper book this is a great place to start. You will get a good overview of his writing style as well as an understanding of what he is passionate about. Because of the devotional nature of the book it is difficult to summarize it more but I would definitely encourage you to get a copy and read it.

If you want to consider buying this book or reading it online, click on the title of this article above and it will take you to the website for this book and John Piper's ministry, Desiring God.

3 comments:

Kyle Bjerga said...

Dave

Great recommendation for reading! I went through that book last year for a few months, and I have started over again.
I have recommended this to others as well.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a quick read. I may have to put this book on my Christmas list.

I was just thinking... said...

I've been blessed by every Piper book I've read. Some are definitely more devotional than others however. This is one that most readers will readily read and enjoy. he has several other devotional type books as well.

In many ways Piper has been influential in my theology balancing my strong confidence in God's sovereignty and our call to passionately pursue Him with our whole heart.

I think he, R.C. Sproul, J.I. Packer, Charles Colson and D.A. Carson have been some of my strongest influences in this regard among living authors. Beyond that I would have to go to John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, Martin Luther and the Puritans.