Friday, October 17, 2008

Moving to North Dakota-Volume 1

We're packing up the kids and moving to Grand Forks, ND!
I thought I would chronicle our move from San Diego to Grand Forks, North Dakota for you, our family and friends.

On a day here in San Diego where it was in the mid-90’s inland I received an email to make sure I check with the National Weather Service as several of the roads through the mountains were closed due to snow, SNOW! Talk about a quick reality check.

We began packing today and I have about half of my office already in boxes and hope to finish with that tomorrow. We also have friends coming over to help us pack tomorrow so we should get a good jump on it. One of the things that always runs through a person’s mind when he is packing is that now would be a good time to get rid of some of that useless stuff that you have acquired over the years. All I can say to that is, “Yeah, right.”

Mind you, I have every intention myself of doing that and have divested myself of many things over the years as I have moved from apartments to condos or condos to a house but it seems that the stuff just multiplies faster than you can give it away. I recall throwing out all of my neon clothes from the 80’s only for it to be replaced with equally trendy and later discarded clothes from the 90’s. Now, it is close to the end of the first decade of the 21st century and I’m going through my clothes again. Why do they look similar to the stuff I threw out in the 80’s? Hmm.

We’ve done a few things over the last month in preparation for our move. We have visited both Jenn’s parents in Glendora and my parents in Waukesha, WI. By the way, I ended up on the evening news while I was up there (boy, that was a loaded statement). Seriously, click here to read the transcript and watch the actual video. It was a “man on the street” interview about some vandalism that was occurring in the area. I told them I was from California just visiting my parents before moving to North Dakota. If you listen carefully they never say I actually live there. Tricky. At first I thought they lied.

Anyway, we also took the kids to Disneyland (for three full days!) with special “Southern California Special” tickets. That was a lot of fun for a day. We also went up to Julian, CA for a few days at a Bed and Breakfast in a small mining town in the mountains to celebrate Jenn’s “29th birthday.” It was Apple Harvest time so we enjoyed fresh baked pie along with wonderful food and quiet strolls through the town.

A few weeks ago I celebrated my 40th birthday party and was reminded not to give a one year old a piece of cake and turn your back for a minute. Turning 40 was no big deal actually. I didn’t have any existential experiences or profound realizations of my mortality. We had about 40 people over to the house (the number was purely coincidental) and had a great time celebrating. It was interesting watching some of my younger friends in their 20’s hanging out with people in their 70’s and 80’s but everyone had a good time. What made it extra special was having one of my closest friends in the world who was my Best Man at our wedding fly out to celebrate the day with us. If you read this Jason, thanks for celebrating another decade with me!

Well, that’s enough of a rambling blog for the night. I’ll throw some pictures up as we pack for the move and give you the blow by blow of all the action. We have movers this time so maybe I won’t break a bone like I did on one of our previous moves…maybe.

No comments: