Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Baby Grace Update - August 24 (Hospital Visit)

Just when we thought things were getting back to "normal"... We went in this morning for our regular appointment. We were supposed to start going every day starting this Monday but things had been looking so good the doctor decided to stay on only three times a week for an ultrasound.

One of the critical areas they have been looking at has been the level of the amniotic fluid. It is supposed to be above 11cc in an ideal situation. They are cautious if it drops between 5 and 11. One of the reasons we have been going three times a week is that the fluid level was visibly low even though our readings have been in the 8-11 range. Anything below 5 is dangerous and requires constant observation.

Today our reading was below 5. As I write this Jenn is packing up some clothes for an unplanned hospital stay. They will put her on complete bed rest for the next three days or so in hopes of raising up the fluid level. If the level does not go up they will keep her in the hospital on bed rest for the duration of the pregnancy. Right now we are at 32+ weeks. A normal pregnancy is 40 weeks and the plan was to have a C-section at around 38 weeks. It is possible that they would do it earlier than that if the baby's life were in danger.

Feel free to drop me an email or leave a note in response to this posting. All the prayers and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated and taken to heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

I just wanted to let you know that you have our prayers. I can't imagine the burden you're carrying, but I know that you've had help in carrying it all along the way. Love you.

Ben said...

If you read the response to my email you know I said I was going to pray for you right after I hit the send button. Just wanted to let you know that I did. :) Love you.