Friday, July 27, 2007

Good Night Alexander Jonathan Monreal


Dear Alexander,

You breezed into this world today. The doctors kept changing their minds when they wanted you to be born but you decided that today was the day. Your mother and I enjoyed time with your grandparents before preparing for you arrival. We have been praying for you since we first found out God had given us the gift of another child. It only seemed fitting that we would say one final prayer asking for God’s hand of blessing before you entered this world.

The mood was light and celebratory as we entered the delivery room. The doctors chatted about the housing market and I held your mother’s hand and caressed her face as we waited for the delivery to begin. After the doctors brought you out of the womb they told me I could stand and take some pictures, and what a sight! The first thing you did was cried your lungs out to show that they were working then you immediately began to demonstrate that your bladder was working too!

The fountain ran dry, or so we through, but apparently you didn’t like the nurses poking at you because you found your reserve units and let them have it too. I couldn’t help but smile, five minutes old and already having fun. After they cleaned you off (and themselves) they let me hold you. I cried when I first heard you cry and I started to again when I looked into your face and held you tenderly in my arms.

Your mom and I held you and savored the moment. Like so many others it was too fleeting and is now only a memory forever etched in our minds. I went with you into the next room for some more tests, you passed them with flying colors but I expected nothing less. Mom came out a short time later and we sat there holding you and standing in awe of God’s amazing grace.

People traveled near and far to visit with you those first hours. God in His providence brought family and friends to see you. People traveling from Mexico and Chicago were on hand in addition to family and some of our closest friends. What a time marveling at God’s goodness.

Finally things quieted down and I was able to hold you and talk to you. Remember to always love God with your whole heart and be considerate to others. It is never out of style to be a gentleman and always remember your manners. Open the door for a lady and care for those in need. If you have a generous heart God will always supply your needs. Never forget that your mother and I love you with our whole heart and we will always be there for you as long as we are alive.

Your big sister and I have a little thing that we do every night. After we lay her down in her bed I lean over and whisper in her ear that I love her. I only say it loud enough for her and I to hear. Tonight, as I lay you down in your crib for your first night’s sleep, I leaned over and whispered in your ear, “I love you Alexander Jonathan.” And one more time today I began to cry.

Love,

Daddy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, we only wish we could be there now to see and hold you and your family. Know that you are in our hearts, thoughts and prayers as God blesses you, Jenn, Grace, and Alex. Praise God!!

We love you and will see you soon,

David and Dianna Hillaker

J. Grant Dys said...

Congratulations, Dave, Jenn, and Grace!!! We're so very excited for the arrival of Alex! We praise the Lord for a safe delivery and a healthy boy!

Kim Robbins said...

darn it, dave, you made me cry again..lol. congratulations, again to you and Jen. I'm so happy i was able to see all of you. God is truly with you and your family.

lots of love,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dave & Jen! We are so thankful to read of Jonathan's safe arrival. May you all be enveloped in the grace of God's love.
Barbara Ahlgrim

Anonymous said...

I'm SO happy for you, Dave! What a strapping young man, that Alexander is! Just sooooo happy for you. Praise the Lord!