Saturday, September 16, 2006

Happy Birthday Grace Rose Monreal




September 15, 2006

Dear Grace,

Your mom and I walked into your room this morning after you woke up and sang “Happy Birthday” to you. It may have been slightly off key but I don’t think it could have been sung with any more love. When I picked you up and held you in my arms my eyes welled up with tears. I began to think of the day of your birth just one year ago today.

It’s hard to imagine all that you have gone through in your young life. Just six weeks after you were born you had to have surgery to take care of your heart problem. We cradled you in our arms and tried not to imagine you having to go through that at barely over six pounds. If I could have taken your place I would have in an instant. But that is just one of the many memories I have of you.

You were so precious when you were born, I remember giving you a bottle and watching you fall asleep in my arms. I would look into your face and wonder all of the things you are going to do in your life. Will you like to fly kites or chase butterflies? Will you want to go fishing or will you think that worms are gross? Will you want to grow up to be a doctor, lawyer or musician?

This may seem so silly to you but I remember the first time you rolled over. It was upstairs in our bedroom. Your mom and I were cheering you on telling you that you could do it. You were struggling so much and you were so frustrated but you kept trying. When you finally made it over I was so happy that I screamed for joy. That scared you so much that you started crying, but that’s okay because tears of joy were streaming down my face too.

I’ve been so amazed watching you grow up this past year: seeing your first tooth start to poke through your little gums; watching you go from a bottle to baby food and starting to feed yourself; looking at you roll over, crawl and start to stand up all on your own; hearing you say your first word, “Oh, oh”; and seeing the childlike wonder when you find something new to experience.

I want you to know that I love you. I love you more now than ever. You will never stop hearing me say that as long as there is breath in my lungs. You are my precious little girl, you are my princess, you are the apple off my eye, you are my pride and joy. Of all the little girls in the world you are most precious to me. I never want you to wonder if your daddy loves you or if other things are more important to him. When you cry I want to be there to pick you up and hold you. It doesn’t matter if it is next week or in 20 years. I will always be there for you.

I want you to know now and forever that you are still Daddy’s little girl. I pray for you every day and I know that God has His strong and tender hands holding you. Good night Grace Rose Monreal. Sweet dreams my princess. When you wake up I’ll be there for you.

Love,

Your Daddy

No comments: